I don’t know about you guys, but I’m almost feeling overwhelmed by the multitude of new releases we’ve been subjected to this year. Both mainstream and self-published authors have been showing us flames with their literary pieces. It’s extremely difficult for me as a re-seller – having to share space with shelves of books staring down at me – coercing me into reading them! The levels of restraint it takes to avoid buying my own stock! Thank the heavens for gratuitous sales reps and their freebies.
Earlier in the year, a publisher challenged us to a reading marathon on Social Media and naturally I had to join in. That kind of social media hype gets me into a lot of trouble and now my brain is fried! Especially after reading Wilbur Smith’s River God. With 4 more books from the Egyptian series still to go, I can’t just stop now – they’re taunting me.
I thought I’d save you the trouble and share a list (in no particular order) of some of my favourite titles released this year that I can heartily recommend:
- PMB: What Dreams Are Made Of series by Leleti the Author (Please click link for book costs)
- The Blessed Girl by Angela Makholwa (R205)
- Dare not Linger by Mandla Langa (R300)
- Khwezi: The Remarkable Story of Fezekile Ntsukela by Redi Tlhabi (R240)
- Reweaving the Soul of the Nation by Mmatshilo Motsei (R200)
- Welcome to Lagos by Chubundu Onuzo (R255)
- Reflecting Rogue by Pumla Dineo Gqola (R225)
- Letters to my Comrades by Z Pallo Jordan (R305)
- From A to B 2nd Edition by Bonang Matheba (R210)
- Skollie – One Man’s Struggle to Survive by Telling Stories by John W. Fredericks (R240)
- Miss Behave by Malebo Sephodi (R205)
- Dancing the Death Drill by Fred Khumalo (R190)
- An A to Z of Amazing South African Women by Ambre Nicolson (R275)
- Emperor Shaka the Great: A Zulu Epic by Mazisi Kunene (R255)
- Stay with Me by Ayobamu Adebayo (R235)
This is but a few books that have come out. One wonders what 2018 will bring!
Let me know what you have read and recommend:)